Friday, September 18, 2009

More than friends, Girlfriends.

Do I start with hello to my five followers or do I start with I am sorry that I have not posted in while. I choose both. I would also like to add a big Thank You to Petra, (as you other four girls know) famed writer of the Voyages En Rose blog. Petra noticed my absence from the blogsphere and sent an email asking after me. Besides Petra being a wise woman with thoughtful words I realized she is a friend, my friend, someone that noticed my absence and reached out to me. With renewed inspiration to write and share my thoughts here I am.

Girlfriends seem to be the topic. Just the other day Staci Lana wrote in her blog, Femulate, about girltalk and chatting with women and I started to think about girlfriends. Then Petra's note to me reminded me again about girlfriends. Green Eyes and I had a brief conversation about girlfriends the other day too. I am a big believer in the stars and to me these separate instances add up to a sign telling me to stop and think a minute.

For me, a GG, it is not just friends that are important it is specifically girlfriends. Time with my girlfriends, conversations with my girlfriends renew me. We feed each other the things we need, an ear to listen to our thoughts whether they are serious or silly, words of either complete honesty or unconditional support. Girlfriends put themselves in the moment with each other, the moment could be about make-up or frustrating kids, being there together is what is important. That is what lifts us up. I am greatful for my girlfriends.

I think I may be gaining a new girlfriend, in Green Eyes (this is a bonus, he is a great boyfriend too). This weekend, after too much "life" getting in our way, we spent some quality time together on Sunday, shopping. We have been shopping together before, looking at women's clothes and shoes. Usually Green Eyes hangs back a bit as I bounce around the store touching things and trying shoes on. I know he like women's clothes, but he remains quiet in the store. This weekend we went out in our sort of matching flip flops and matching anklets, silly fun. In the store Green Eyes tried on some shoes and when I held up some clothes I thought would look good for him he joined me in checking them out more closely. We both got some new clothes this time instead of just me. I felt like for the first time we both had a good time.

Green Eyes still asked "Why don't you care that I go out wearing an anklet?" I truly have no other response than "Why should I care?" After a few emails the next day reveiwing our shopping fun Green Eyes wrote to me that it is good to be girlfriends. YES it is! Drop me a line girlfriends, I need to hear from you.

3 comments:

Petra Bellejambes said...

Hey Lynn! Welcome back!

Guys have always known that girlfriends have a different meaning to the fairer sex. Guys are largely excluded from that shared space, which is a relief I am sure to the gals in general.

Guys that cross dress it seems, get a passport with temporary visa status to visit Girlistan. It is a similar privelege that is often extended to select gay friends. And it is a privelege.

Beyond the dressing, it is a wonderful experience to be in the company of women, without carrying any typical male cultural baggage.

Dual citizenship is nice. Thanks for stamping Visas.

Happy weekend!

xoxo - Petra

Lynn Jones said...

She's good like that (that Petra) :) Welcome back, BTW. :D

Leslie Ann said...

On occasion, life gets in the way of writing about life. Eminently forgivable. Glad you're back.